Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mentor's Corner: Meet Luke

Luke Reardon was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in the Spring of 2008. He spent two weeks in the hospital losing over forty pounds before the doctors were able to diagnose him. His involvement with CCFA started when he interned at the Minnesota/Dakotas Chapter of CCFA in 2009. Since then, he has participated in Team Challenge, Take Steps and Young Professionals Group. Along with fundraising, he has also been a CCFA advocate during the “Day on the Hill” in Washington , DC. His leadership skills and passion have proven to be a great asset to the Young Professionals Group where he now serves as the Fundraising Committee Chair. Most recently, he participated in his second half marathon while acting as a mentor for Team Illinois at the 2010 Rock n’ Roll Half Marathon in Las Vegas benefiting CCFA. His favorite memories come from Team Challenge. “It’s always inspiring to hear others’ stories of what they have and continue to go through. It was amazing to see everyone’s hard work pay off,” Luke says of this past Vegas race. Luke serves as a role model and an inspiration to those with IBD but when asked what inspires him, Luke responded, “I am inspired by the courage and determination I see in people with IBD. It never ceases to amaze me how resilient those of us with IBD are. I have heard stories of what others have dealt with and it amazes me how they were able to cope with what they had to go through and maintain a positive outlook. These people and their stories inspire me to do what I can so they, and others, will never have to be the subject of such pain again.” He is thankful for his health and the opportunity to improve the health of others. “I am not a doctor, nor will I ever be, but I can still have a valuable impact on IBD research,” he says. Luke’s humanitarianism and drive to find a cure is a true inspiration to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment